An Overview of the Pediatric Orthopedic Oncology Treatment Offered at Hope AMC
Bone cancer has been given different medical terms, such as Orthopedic Oncology. Bone cancer can start in any bone in any part of the body but it usually affects the pelvic region and the long bones present in the arms and legs. It is a rare type of cancer and the cause of this cancer is still unknown, though hereditary factors and previous radiation exposures are sometimes considered as some primary causes of this cancer.
At Hope AMC, advanced treatment techniques and effective medical approaches are followed to diagnose and treat cancers in the musculoskeletal system that includes bones and soft tissues in children. The Orthopedic Oncology specialists at Hope AMC focus on treating pediatric and adolescent patients, who have malignant or benign tumors of the bones, soft tissues, and musculoskeletal nerves.
Which bone cancer conditions are treated at Hope AMC?
The Orthopedic Oncology department of Hope AMC focuses on diagnosing and treating soft tissue and bone tumors in children of different age groups – from infancy to adolescence. Osteosarcoma, which is the most common type of bone cancer mostly occurs in children and teenagers or young adults in the bones of the legs and arms. The most complex types of malignant bone tumors treated at Hope AMC include the following –
The types of Bone Sarcomas treated:
- Osteosarcoma and Ewing’s Sarcoma (most commonly diagnosed in young children and adolescents)
- And other types of bone sarcomas
The types of Soft Tissue Sarcomas treated:
- Epithelioid Sarcoma
- Synovial Cell Sarcoma
- Undifferentiated/Pleomorphic Sarcoma
- Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans
- Malignant Fibrous Histiocytoma
- Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor
Types of Benign Bone Tumors treated:
- Osteoid Osteoma
- Bone Cysts
- Unicameral Bone Cyst (UBC)
- Aneurysmal Bone Cyst (ABC)
Types of Benign Soft Tissue Tumors treated:
- Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS)
- Giant Cell Tumor
Apart from the aforementioned conditions, some other cancerous bone tumors like Multiple Myeloma, Lymphoma, Metastatic Carcinoma, etc., and non-cancerous bone and soft tissue tumors, such as – Fibrous Dysplasia, Ganglion Cyst, Baker’s Cyst, and benign bone tumors of the extremities, spine, and pelvis, pathologic fractures, etc., are also treated.
Learn about some of the common bone cancer symptoms
The earlier the cancer is diagnosed, the better are the chances of recovery. If you notice these common symptoms in your child, you should first consult your primary care physician at the earliest –
- Acute pain in any bone that gets worse with time
- Visible bumps on any bone, muscle, or the surrounding tissue
- The frequent occurrence of infections like respiratory infections
- Recurring constipation, nausea, vomiting, and issues with urination
- Swelling of the bones or the surrounding area
- Numbness in any region like legs and arms
- Fractures resulting from the weakening of the bones
- Fatigue and weight loss
Some important aspects of the Orthopedic Oncology treatment procedures followed at Hope AMC
The condition of the bone cancer disease in children can vary largely and so, the treatment plans at Hope AMC are tailored as per the child’s condition and the latest and most effective treatment approaches are implemented. Each and every patient’s condition is evaluated thoroughly by the highly specialized team of board-certified doctors. The team of medical professionals comprises orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, cardiothoracic surgeons, musculoskeletal radiologists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, and pathologists – all these expert medical professionals are specialized in treating bone and soft tissue tumors.
The Pediatric Oncology team of Hope AMC is specially trained and experienced in providing treatment to children and teenagers in a compassionate, nurturing, and family-friendly environment. After a careful and precise medical examination, the child’s condition and the treatment options are thoroughly explained to the parents. Despite being a very rare condition, highly specialized treatment for Osteosarcoma is provided by the experienced Orthopedic Oncology team at Hope AMC.
Orthopedic Oncology treatment facilities offered at Hope AMC –
- Easy and effortless online appointment bookings with the Pediatric Orthopedic Oncology specialists.
- A comprehensive treatment plan is designed and explained to the parents and family members.
- Specialized physical therapy sessions are designed for pediatric bone cancer rehabilitation.
- Post-operative rehabilitation for pediatric bone cancer patients.
- Wellness assistance and family support programs are also included.
- 24×7 assistance for medical queries and questions.
Cancer in the musculoskeletal system can occur at any age and in any gender and may spread very fast. Treatments for the same are varied that may include surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation therapy, or the combination of different therapies. It is always suggested to start the treatment at the earliest after a careful and proper diagnosis of the condition. Always remember, help from Hope AMC is just a call away! For any queries or concerns, you can call on +971-529997075, +971-43460066, or you may write to [email protected].