Occupational Therapy Dubai
What is Occupational Therapy?
Occupational Therapy (OT) refers to the evidence-based treatment that helps individuals who have any disability, injury, pain, or illness that deters their ability to perform various physical tasks such as moving around, taking part in activities, caring for themselves, doing schoolwork or job tasks, or completing home chores.
Occupational therapy in Dubai helps such individuals adapt to these mobility challenges. Occupational therapists work on developing fine and gross motor skills, improving eye-hand coordination, and learning issues.
Occupational therapists (OTs) work with individuals of all ages and help them perform various physical tasks, including:
- Eating without assistance
- Participating in sports and other leisure activities
- Bathing and getting dressed
- Doing laundry and cleaning the house
Who requires Occupational Therapy?
People of any age ranging from premature babies to young children, adults, and even the elderly with any kind of sensory, physical, or cognitive problems, can get help from occupational therapy.
OT can also help individuals who have
- Sensory processing disorders
- Learning problems
- Multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, and other chronic illnesses
- Birth defects or injuries
- Traumatic injuries to the spinal cord or brain
- Traumatic amputations
- Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
- Behavioral or mental health problems
- Orthopedic injuries
- Developmental delays
- Post-surgical conditions
- Spina bifida
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Poor balance
How does Occupational Therapy work?
Occupational therapists initially evaluate the condition and how the patient performs any activity to identify the patient’s specific needs. To meet those specific needs, a tailored treatment plan is devised.
OT works by assessing the patient’s home and work environment, and adaptations are recommended accordingly to enhance the patient’s independence.
- OTs work on motor skills enabling you to grasp things
- They build eye-hand coordination
- They also advise you on getting any assistive device (wheelchairs, dressing, bathing and hearing devices, or raised toilet chairs).
- OTs demonstrate how to perform certain chores and train patients to adapt to their physical movements to improve their hand-eye coordination and motor skills.
- Patient and their caregivers are trained to use the special tools and equipment.
- OTs also support maintaining their balance to prevent injuries.
How does Occupational Therapy differ from Physical Therapy?
Although occupational therapy (OT) and physical therapy (PT) help enhance children’s quality of life, they differ greatly in certain aspects.
Physical therapy helps individuals improve their physical strength, regain strength and joint range of motion, and gross motor skills (large-muscle movements made with legs, arms, feet, or the whole body). PT also works on reducing pain while enhancing overall endurance.
In contrast, pediatric occupational therapy primarily works on developing and improving fine motor skills in children (small-muscle movements such as movement of hands, toes, and fingers). OTs also help with cognitive and visual-perceptual skills and improve sensory-processing problems.
Occupational Therapy for Children
Broadly speaking, Occupational Therapy for children or Paediatric Occupational Therapists helps support children in engaging and participating in different activities like playing, dressing, reading, writing, and feeding.
Occupational Therapy for kids in Dubai covers numerous areas, including:
- Developmental Delay
- Self-Care (dressing, bathing, toilet training)
- Sensory and Visual Processing
- Developmental Coordination Disorder
- Oral Motor and Sensory (Feeding and chewing)
- Fine Motor Skill Development
- Gross Motor Skills (Balance development, strength, and body movement)
- Social Interaction Skills
- Play Skills
- Learning challenges (lack of attention, distraction, poor impulse control, difficulty learning new things, poor handwriting)
What are the benefits of Occupational Therapy?
Best Paediatric Occupational Therapy help individuals restore their ability to independently perform basic and instrumental daily living activities (ADLs). Below mentioned are some of the benefits of Occupational Therapy:
- OT improves muscle strength, range of motion (both passive and active), and body positioning of individuals with arthritis, surgery, or stroke.
- OT employs compensatory techniques to reduce muscle pain and build strength. Therapists educate patients regarding stretching techniques, exercises, and proper body positioning to decrease pain.
- Visual changes due to stroke or brain injury may affect your ability to read or walk. OTs teach such individuals visual adaptive techniques to improve their reading and walking.
- OTs train patients and their caregivers to understand the disabilities, limitations, and challenges patients may face due to their disease.
- Home evaluations are also offered by occupational therapists in Dubai to address the safety hazards. OTs also advise on home furniture and equipment placement for patient safety.
- OTs also work on improving functional cognition, involving an individual’s reasoning, problem-solving, attention, organization, and cognitive skills required to perform functional tasks. They also help improve visual deficits in patients.
Why do you see an Occupational Therapist?
There are multiple reasons to see a pediatric occupational therapist. If your child is struggling to perform daily activities or if any medical condition, disease, or injury has made it difficult for you to complete the routine activities independently, you may take help from occupational therapy to recover your physical strength to live as independently as possible.
Below mentioned are some of the health conditions that require Occupational Therapy:
- Poor Vision
- Poor Balance
- Cerebral Palsy
- Brain or Spinal Injury
- Joint Replacement/ Amputation
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Chronic Pain
- Severe Burns
- Behavioral and Mental Health Issues
How does Hope AMC carry out Occupational Therapy?
At Hope AMC, our highly trained and skilled Occupational Therapists make occupational therapy a fun play for children. Our OTs engage kids in motivational activities such as crafts, board games, and creating obstacles. Through these fun activities, kids enjoy learning how to achieve daily tasks independently.
At our occupational therapy center, OTs employ tailored and effective therapeutic approaches and techniques to develop the essential physical, sensory, and cognitive abilities of children.
Note: Treatment options and session length for each child may vary depending on the type and severity of the disability and health condition.
For those looking for “occupational therapist near me”, our experienced OTs are eager to help your child overcome their limitations.
Why should you choose Hope AMC for Occupational Therapy?
The occupation of a kid is to play, learn, develop, and grow!
If you are looking for the best pediatric occupational therapy, Hope AMC has got you covered!
Our licensed occupational therapists treat all areas of physical, emotional, behavioral, social, and motor skill development.
At Hope AMC, we believe in “No One Size Fits All” and offer treatment plans customized to your child’s specific needs.
Initially, OTs understand why your child struggles to perform specific tasks and devise a therapy plan accordingly.
Our employ child-friendly therapeutic techniques to help your kid achieve their maximum potential and independence in all daily routine tasks. Our OTs use creative methods and play-based activities to help children develop the necessary skills to perform tasks. We use both one-on-one and group sessions to boost self-confidence among children. We also foster parents’ participation during therapy sessions and train them about the activities and use of specific tools to implement those techniques at home.
Your search for “occupational therapy clinics near me” ends with Hope AMC; feel free to contact us for a consultation!