Bhanu has a vast experience managing cases ranging from infants to toddlers, children, and adults. She has acquired her bachelor’s degree with first class honors in Speech Pathology from a prestigious university in Malaysia, University Sains Malaysia. She obtained her Masters in Deglutology and Swallowing Disorders from Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, a renowned university in India and topped her batch.
She has practiced in various settings such as hospitals, clinics & centers providing screenings, assessments, feeding and swallowing therapy and speech-language therapy. She has experience working in Malaysia, a multi-racial country with different cultures and also in India, a country with high density population with a variety of cases.
She is able to perform and interpret Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) and Video-fluoroscopic Swallowing Study (VFSS) independently for adult and pediatric patients. She had performed VFSS to infants as early as 15 days old. She had performed Barium Study for speech and swallowing purpose in cleft patients pre- and post-surgery across pediatric and adult population. She is equipped with tracheostomy care and counselling experience and possesses clinical experience in managing voice cases by conducting laryngoscopy and providing appropriate management. She has worked collaboratively with professionals from many other disciplines (e.g: Neuro Surgeons, Head and Neck Surgeons, Oncologists, Pediatric Neurologists, Pediatric ENT, ENT, Neonatologists, Neurologists, Gastroenterologists, Oro-Maxillofacial-gist, General Medicine, Respiratory Medicine, Cardiologists).
Bhanu is a goal-oriented person and believes in evidence-based practice to keep her knowledge updated.
Clinical Certifications / Trainings includes:
- Childhood Apraxia of Speech from Diagnosis to Discharge, Hong Kong Speech and Hearing Symposium 2018.
- MED-EL Accreditation for Hearing Implant Rehabilitation – Foundation Level, Malaysia
- Neuro-Deglutology Symposium.
- Webinar: Interpreting the Laryngoscopy.
- FEES and Stroboscopy Challenges.
- VFSS (Video-fluoroscopic Swallowing Study)
- FEES (Fibreoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing)
- Freka Tube Insertion
- Tracheostomy care and suctioning
- Voice rehabilitation
- Feeding Therapy
- Author for Grace House Magazine (Vol 1 (2019) & Vol 2 (2020)), Malaysia
- Journal of Health Sciences: The Swallowing Ability and Psychosocial Domains of Patients with Dysphagia among Head and Neck Cancer Population (2019)
Authors: Shee Wei San, Affizal Ahmad, Bhanupiriya Mahadevan
Ref: DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.17576/JSKM-2019-1701-01