Tips to choose the correct seat :
Look out for the following:
- Spine is straight/neutral and not bending or slouching forward
- Pelvis in neutral alignment and not tucked under
- Seat that tilts the pelvis forward and allows the child to sit up straighter because the core muscles are more activated
- Safe and appropriate
Important tips when using baby seat:
1. Wait until the baby is ready. We do not want to encourage sitting until your baby has achieved head control.
2. Arms should be supported at the chest level / spine should not be curved like C.
3. We don’t encourage keeping the baby on the seat for prolonged periods.
Pic 1 and 2 : Show slouched baby , pelvis tucked behind , forward head to counterbalance effect of gravity and no core work and no free play with hands and difficulty to look up .
Pic 3 , 4 and 5:
Head , spine and hip in neutral alignment
Arms supported at shoulder level
Head looking straight instead of dropping down
by Khushboo Bhagwanani
Early Intervention specialist